May 08, 2008

Little Man

William Steig illustration for Listen, Little Man

I have a thing for angry books written by people who feel they have nothing to lose. The genre must contain a lot of trash, but the works that last tend to have good things inside, or at least certain lines that work at certain times. One of my favorites is Listen, Little Man [1945], available for free [albeit with no paragraph gaps in the second half] by clicking the title, or from Amazon by clicking the picture. The book is Wilhem Reich's reaction to the rise of fascism, to the 'little men' who, when given a chance of freedom, voted for uniforms, war, regulations and a false sense of security. I like it a lot, and aim to slowly get some of it posted on here.

For now I'm (happily) stuck in my own things.

No comments: