July 02, 2008

Apollonysian


It's the season for me to be proofreading a lot of theses. While some are well argued, well-written, many are appalling - especially things from the literature department.

But it brings me down to earth. I read a lot of books and listen to a lot of lectures, and the thrill of being a leader in your field, getting tenure and the freedom to explore as you want, it all looks very good. And sometimes I wish I'd studied harder, some thing else, and worked to an academic career. But then it's clear I'd be a plodding a mediocrity at best, that I'd quickly feel trapped in my not so good job, with not so good students and working with subjects and ideas that I'd already burned through and got bored with long ago.

Freedom is the only thing that interests me, but it's hard to figure out in what form it should arrive.

The need for both the Apollonian and Dionysian, for order and chaos to function together. This is the idea behind the slowly evolving next stage of things.

No comments: