June 23, 2008

Feed me to plants when I die

Dran via Who killed Bambi?

Sitting by my tiny garden this afternoon, in only a sarong and sweating heavily, proofreading, looking at the plants and trying to work out what's going on under the soil, the network of roots and how they interact, the chemical messages sent out among them, the accumulation of dumb facts that leads to the sudden emergence of something approaching intelligence, which is all I'm working with at this end. There's the International Laboratory of Plant Neurobiology, which does what you'd expect, but whatever their findings it wouldn't affect my admiration one way or the other. Plants don't do what we do, but we don't do what they do. Two different means to the same end, and they're doing well.

Which leads me to this link:
Researchers Resurrect Extinct Judean Date Palm Tree from 2,000-Year-Old Seed
I don't believe the following for a moment, but I like to flirt with ideas:
Animals are something invented by plants to move seeds around. An extremely yang solution to a peculiar problem which they faced.

No comments: